17 Aug Introduction to Detoxification
What is detox?
Detoxification is a key body function involving the elimination of metabolic waste and other toxins via the eliminatory organs and systems. Modern day living has led to an increased exposure to toxins. Picture of food which would aid detox, as well as the toxic by-products of your own metabolism, you are faced with toxins in what you eat and drink, as well as from alcohol, cigarettes, medical drugs, cosmetics, household cleaning products, not to mention pollution and environmental poisons. As much as 80% of all the chemical processes that go on in your body involve detoxification activities.
Why do you need to detox?
The world is full of toxins and carcinogens and unfortunately you are inevitably exposing yourself to them and absorbing them. Environmental factors are one of the major causes of cancers. Similarly, other chronic degenerative diseases like diabetes and heart attacks are often the result of consistent abuse through improper nutrition and a sedentaryPicture of lady eating the wrong food lifestyle. Many people’s daily diets are skewed toward higher amounts of sugar, high glycaemic carbohydrates, refined food, high fat food, and processed food. Toxins are inevitable in your life but fortunately the human body has natural mechanisms to detoxify itself. You need to assist your body to perform this in an effective manner. Therefore, the way to detoxify your body starts from knowledge of the proper diet, nutrition, and stress relief programs to clear and prevent absorption of these toxins.
What is the aim of detoxification?
Your body’s main detoxification organs and systems are the liver, colon, kidneys, gallbladder, lungs, skin, lymph, and blood. They help rid your body of wastes and toxins.
The aim of detoxification is to:
• Substantially reduce toxins in our body to help lessen the burden on the detoxification organs.
• Educate you to avoid the intake of, and exposure to, some of the most harmful toxins.
• Promote healthy eating, nutrition and supplementation to aid your body to substantially reduce the level of toxins.
What are the benefits of detox?
The main benefits of detoxification are:
• Increased energy levels.
• Improved immune function.
• Reduced free radicals and eliminated toxins.
• To aid your body’s fight against cancer cells and aid the generation of healthy cells.
• The reduction of mucous, congestion, fermentation and inflammation in your digestive tract.
• The purification of your blood.
• A reduction in lifestyle addictions for sugar, salt, high glycaemic carbohydrates, alcohol, junk foods, nicotine, etc.
Once your body is not kept so busy dealing with cleansing processes, it can more easily focus on doing the more important things like fighting cancer and chronic degenerative diseases, restoring health, and repairing damage.
Who can benefit from a detox programme?
Now let’s take a look at some of the symptoms from which you may be suffering, and which can indicate that you would benefit from following a detoxification program:
• Consistent tendency to overweight or obesity issues – This is a significant contributory factor for many degenerative diseases like diabetes and high blood pressure. There is also a tendency for toxins to be stored within fat.
• Regular or high alcohol consumption – Alcohol Picture of Homer Simpson after drinking beer has a detrimental effect on your liver as almost all the alcohol is metabolized by it. As the liver breaks down alcohol, by-products are formed, such as acetaldehyde. Some of these are more toxic to the body than the alcohol itself.
• Constant feelings of fatigue and tiredness – This is one of the most common symptoms of a highly toxic body leading to a reduced ability to keep a focused and sharp mind.
• Susceptibility to flus and colds – This is a clear reflection of a much weaker immune function and your body’s inability to fight bacteria and viruses well.
• Digestive tract problems – Cases like bloat and IBS are clear signs of a sensitised digestive and intestinal tract.
• High cholesterol and blood pressure – These are the leading causes of heart disease and stroke.
• Allergies and sensitivities – These problems are likely to be caused by low immune function and an imbalance of nutrients. There are many cases of sinusitis and asthmatics who managed to resolve their medical problem through nutritional supplements and avoidance of diary products, for example.
• Constipation – Bad bowel movement encourages harmful bacteria to accumulate around the colon area. This can lead to many problems to surface within your colon in the future.
• Diabetes – The world’s leading cause of kidney failure, it can also cause heart disease. Diabetes is highly correlated with cholesterol and blood pressure problems as well.
• Headaches or migraine – Can the result of inflammation within the head area.
It is beneficial and important to establish a lifestyle change through detoxification to achieve resolution of these problems. However, care should be taken when doing this where continuous medication is still important. Both should be maintained concurrently.